From Ill. GOP Chairman Chairman Jack Dorgan:
For a sitting governor, it doesn’t get much worse than the week Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn just had.
- On Tuesday, a state audit slammed Gov. Quinn for his $54.5 million program, launched just one month before the 2010 election. The brutal audit led to calls for a criminal investigation into what Republicans called a political “slush fund.”
- On Wednesday, Quinn’s head of the Illinois Department of Chidren and Family Services abruptly resigned after multiple scandals came to light in the past month, including a theft conviction and past paternity case.Associated Press
- Then on Thursday, Quinn’s campaign got caught accepting $5,000 from an IDNR official and Democratic county party head. Shamed by the ILGOP, Quinn announced he would donate the tainted cash to charity (more about this below). And initial reports are that Quinn has plenty more work to do if he wants to truly rid himself of similar contributions.ILGOP Press Release
Quad Cities Times
- Friday brought the worst news of all: the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics confirmed the sad state of the Illinois economy under Gov. Quinn:
- Illinois was one of only two states where the average jobless rate got worse from 2012 to 2013.
- We had the third-worst overall jobless rate of any state in 2013.
- Every other state in the region, and each of our neighbors, improved their jobless rate while Illinois got worse.
- And on average last year, our population (and number of unemployed) increased, but our labor force and total number of workers dropped.
- So it should be no surprise that on Friday Rothenberg Political Report moved the Illinois governor’s race from “Lean Democrat” to “Toss-up.” The report said “[Quinn’s] job approval numbers can’t be ignored, and we have growing doubts about his re-election prospects.”
Now that’s what I would call a rough week.
Gov. Jindal Event Recap
The Illinois Republican Party, on the other hand, had a banner week. On Tuesday, Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal hosted a party fundraiser in Chicago with an estimated 250 donors attending.
Thanks to all those who attended, and those who contributed to the growth and success of our party.
If you would like to do your part to help our party grow, you can contribute securely online at our website: ILGOP.org
Republican Voters Beware…
With high stakes in the Illinois race for governor, a number of shady third-party groups funded by “Democrat dark money” have made their voices heard trying to impact the outcome of the election.
One such group was served this week with a Cease-and-Desist letter from the Illinois Republican Party from use of the word “Republican” and our official marks. For more info, click on the following link, and make sure you keep watch for phony groups like this trying to steal your vote!
Quinn and Frerichs Caught Taking Tainted Campaign Cash
The Illinois Republican Party called out Gov. Pat Quinn and Treasurer candidate and state Sen. Mike Frerichs this week, for accepting more than $5,000 in campaign cash raised by two disgraced local Democratic party heads and employees of the Illinois DNR. (covered by The News Gazette and The Southern Illinoisan)
On Thursday, Quinn and Frerichs were forced to donate more than $5,250 in “tainted campaign contributions” to charity, in response to our call.
“Welcoming” VP Biden to Illinois
Last week, Vice President Joe Biden traveled to the Metro East area to tout the five-year anniversary of the so-called “stimulus” package.
The Illinois GOP responded immediately to bracket his visit: “if the vice president is trying to claim that the Democrats are good for jobs, he could hardly pick a worse state than Illinois for proof.”
Tuesday, March 4: NBC5/University of Chicago Debate
Thursday, March 6: Chicago Tonight/WTTW Lt. Gov Debate
Thursday, March 13: Chicago Tonight/WTTW Governor Debate
Tuesday, March 18: Illinois Republican Primary
Tuesday, April 16: County Conventions